The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/lots-of-interesting-posts-on-tmf-i-do-not-see-any-20234137.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rent vs Buy Date:  1/29/2004  8:59 AM
Author:  TwoCybers Number:  38820 of 76406

Lots of interesting posts on TMF. I do not see any compelling financial issues or advantages.

However there are issues that in my view are big. Sometime someone will have to deal with your residence. It is a bunch easier to tell the landlord we/they are gone then to sell property. The sale issue can be hard in times of rising interest rates (that seems likely when the federal spending catches up with us) or an economic down turn. This will be double hard if the house is empty because of a death or move into say a nursing home.

Additionally if you suffer a gradual health decline it will get harder and probably less interesting to deal with the maintenance issues of owning a house/condo.

These concerns would be less if you happen to live near the family members (or others) who will be dealing with your estate or affairs should you become incapacitated.

Gordon
Atlanta
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us