The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ref-jafo31s-38823-im-gonna-have-to-go-with-20235998.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rent vs Buy Date:  1/29/2004  1:52 PM
Author:  FCorelli Number:  38825 of 75828

Ref Jafo31's # 38823

I'm gonna have to go with Jafo on this one. My current apt is already in a nice area. Toney 'burb of Omaha maybe 3 miles from Warren Buffet's house. It is well built not a cheapie as apartments go. In fact it's the best apartment I have ever lived in from that standpoint. But it is not a concrete soundproof bunker either. And, as someone else suggested, I already am on the tippy--toppiest floor. If I upgrade to a townhome/super ritzy glitzy "Frasieresque" building then the rent becomes the same as house payments and that is a whole new calculus

I have never been impressed by the quality of neighbors in either condos or residential neighborhoods. Excepting the Urban Blightsvilles on one end and the Doctor/Lawyer neighborhoods, and Martha Stewart compounds on the other there is little dfference. One reason I like to rent is IF it gets too bad I can split in a few months, whereas in a home I am stuck. It's all the potential problems of renting with none of the benefits. And all the drags of owning with only a hope of the benefits.

The main quality of life thingies that keep recurring are "noise too close". I think if I had some space, not acres but just a non-connectedness, much of the "environmental stimulation" that gets under my skin would be ameliorated. Also, I hate the care and feeding of houses. So a low maintenence situation is important. Well, also I am cheap so I dont want to pay a lot!

Thanx for all the chiming in. Was nice to talk housing and money instead of politics for awhile

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us