The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/yes-i-think-its-a-good-idea-to-contribute-to-the-20244370.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is Roth IRA good if only eligible 2 tax year Date:  1/30/2004  9:11 PM
Author:  2old4bs Number:  38849 of 74759

Yes, I think it's a good idea to contribute to the Roth. I was only able to do it for 2 years also. I'm approaching the 5 year mark, when I can take withdraw without penalty--not that I'm planning it, but it gives me some peace of mind to know that if I do need some money, that money is there for the taking, penalty and tax free. I'm going to be paying enough taxes during retirement on the withdrawals from my 401K savings (which will be rolled into an IRA)--I figure that every non-taxable withdrawal (from the Roth) COUNTS!

I also have a Traditional IRA which I now contribute the maximum contribution to, but it's not tax-deductible for me--but then again, I'm much closer to retirement than you are. Although you might be able to make a deductible contribution to a Traditional IRA (instead of the non-deductible contribution to the Roth), because you sound pretty young I think it's better to have the money grow tax-free all those years in the Roth, and have all withdrawals non-taxable many years from now (when you'll withdraw it).

When you're no longer eligible for the Roth you can always open a Traditional IRA if you want to.

Well, that's my 2 cents...

2old

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us