The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-written-to-inquire-about-what-options-i-20244442.aspx

Subject:  Re: 457 /self directed investments Date:  1/30/2004  9:27 PM
Author:  2old4bs Number:  38850 of 76074

I have written to inquire about what options I have in that regard, details, how it works, etc but no response- and I cannot find any useful info re this on the providers web site. Once when I raised this at a meeting at work, the provider rep discouraged this option - seemed to not want to even discuss it.

My initial gut reaction--it would seem that if they're this opposed to even 'discussing' it, how would you ever actually get it done? But I know NOTHING about 457 plans, and hopefully someone who does know will be able to help.

I would suggest however that you investigate the funds they do offer very carefully. Read each prospectus. What are the expense ratios? IMHO anything over 1.0 is a ripoff. Also, are they load or no-load funds? Again, IMHO, load funds are a ripoff. Don't only check for front-end loads, but back-end loads also.

If there's no employer match, and the funds are expensive, you might be better off not participating, and putting after-tax dollars in a taxable account instead where you'll have total control over what you invest in. These are decisions you'll have to make based upon your own financial situation, investment style, tax rate, age, etc.

2old

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us