The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-another-question-about-opening-a-roth-ira-20248850.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is Roth IRA good if only eligible 2 tax year Date:  1/31/2004  10:23 PM
Author:  dsemmler Number:  38872 of 76398

I have another question about opening a Roth IRA and investing in the Vanguard Total Stock Market Fund. Is it better to invest directly through Vanguard or to open up a discount brokerage account and do it there?

I think either option will most likely suit you just fine. Personally, I opted to go directly with Vanguard. Since I was planning to invest in Vanguard funds, I felt it was best for me to go directly with the fund family. I am sure I would have been just as pleased had I gone with a brokerage such as Scottrade.

One thought I had at the time was the chances were greater of my costs increasing with a brokerage than with Vanguard directly. While Scottrade does not currently charge a commission (at least I believe that to be true), that does not mean that will always be the case.

I think you need to go with the choice that makes you feel the most secure and comfortable.

dt
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us