The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/telegraph-i-may-have-not-been-clear-about-bonds--20259324.aspx

Subject:  Re: Pension Termination Date:  2/3/2004  11:42 AM
Author:  TwoCybers Number:  38914 of 76075

telegraph I may have not been clear about bonds & CDs vs. stocks - My point was there are 10 years before retirement, at best CDs and bonds historically have kept up with purchasing power. Usually there are worse.

Can one find a period where investing in only stocks for 10 years was bad yes -- you picked the two most obvious ones. Can one find periods where bonds or CDs were a bummer - yes.

Can you find 10 year periods that looked more like the averages -- yes and there are more of them.

The orginal poster as I recall had about $110,000 -- The safe withdraw rate would be in the range of 4% to 5% -- 5% would be about $5,500 a year. My gut told me the writer expected more then that amount (an assumption on my part) and on that basis I did suggest a somewhat higher risk approach (Balanced mutual funds for example)

My comments regarding annuities were in response to the question would it be a good idea to purchase annunities -- The commissions, fees, etc. are considerably higher for individual purchase then pension plans - so I stand by my statement.

Gordon
Atlanta
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us