The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-just-moved-into-a-new-to-us-house-and-are-20265609.aspx

Subject:  Re: ceiling fans Date:  2/4/2004  12:02 PM
Author:  Goofyhoofy Number:  45683 of 129257

We just moved into a new (to us) house and are putting overhead lights in the kids' bedrooms and are thinking about ceiling fans. The house has air conditioning. How much of a difference do ceiling fans make in terms of comfort and energy savings?

In a high ceiling room, they make a difference in winter by circulating the warmer air (which rises) evenly in the room. In a low ceiling room, they don't make much difference in winter, but they help a little bit.

In summer they help any room (a little) by keeping the air moving. It doesn't feel as "stale", and you don't have hot pockets.

I'm not sure I'd put them in kids' rooms, however. Things fly, kids jump on beds, etc. That's just me, and I'd be cautious. For a small bedroom, a desk fan which oscillates will probably accomplish the same thing.

We have three ceiling fans and use two of them. Of course our ceilings are exceptionally high, so it really makes a difference to us. The ceilings are so high that to reverse the fan direction, I have to take one of those extendable poles and whack at the fan to hit the "reverse" switch. I've gotten pretty good at hitting the switch and not smacking the fan housing, which is good, because I'd hate to have one come crashing down on me.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us