The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/spinning-i-would-say-it-also-depends-on-where-you-20266341.aspx

Subject:  Re: ceiling fans Date:  2/4/2004  1:43 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  45695 of 128217

spinning,

I would say it also depends on where you live to some extent. Here in the Sonoran Desert if you don't have a ceiling fan you will not be a happy camper. As was pointed out they do move the air, and mix it. In the summer here you will feel much more comfortable at higher thermostat settings, so you can actually save money (we typically set to 80F in our house, my company seems to set around 72F). I've experimented with them in the winter...I'm still undecided on that one. The moving air makes the room feel more chilly, IMO (yes, I reversed the blade direction...forget where I read to do that...and I still felt a cold breeze).

If you live in Maine or Minnesota or Colorado I doubt you would need them in the summer since it doesn't really get hot (though I don't know what the humidity in Maine or Minnesota is like). When I did live in Colorado we just opened the windows in the summer (no fans).

The safety thing is a good point. However, in our house there will be a ceiling fan in every bedroom, the computer room, the great room, and we're still on the fence about the kitchen.

1poorguy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us