The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-the-winter-the-ceiling-fan-is-not-a-very-20267614.aspx

Subject:  Re: ceiling fans Date:  2/4/2004  4:36 PM
Author:  Goofyhoofy Number:  45714 of 128652

In the winter, the ceiling fan is not a very efficient space heater. I'm not sure about the claims that you can move hot air down from the ceiling.

I'm sure.

However you have to reverse the blades so the air direction is "up". You do not want the air blowing down on you in winter as (you point out) that increases the evaporative effect, making you feel cooler. But you do want to move the warm air around.

A ceiling fan is generally located in the center of the room. Having it blow "up" will move air to the ceiling, then out toward the walls, down the walls toward the floor, and back to the center of the room (and back up through the fan.)

I suspect that would depend a lot on the height of the ceiling and the positioning of the air-returns (if you have a forced-air heating system). For 8-foot ceiling heights, my experience has been that the air moving across the people below the fan has more of a chilling feeling than the benefit, if any, of moving hot air down. In theory, you run the fan the other direction in the winter to reduce the airflow directly across people, but in my experience air moves across you even when you run the fan the other way.

As I mentioned, we have two fans we use (and a third we don't.) One is on a 25 foot ceiling in the living room, the other about 12 feet up in the bedroom (ceiling another 4 feet up from that.) Running them at very low speed - all the time - makes a substantial difference in the "warmth" of the house.

I would agree that in a very low ceiling-ed room the effect might not be worth the trouble.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us