The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/when-i-was-in-the-process-of-increasing-my-20268348.aspx

Subject:  Re: The New Luxuries Date:  2/4/2004  6:33 PM
Author:  ataloss Number:  148127 of 743932

When I was in the process of increasing my savings goals, I never took any action that I viewed as a sacrifice. It wasn't necessary. I was able to meet all my goals by taking steps that added to my sense of well being by making me feel more secure about my future and by bringing the dream of independence closer to reality.

If you think of luxury in this new way, there is no such thing as a savings plan which is too “extreme.” It does not make sense to view steps in the pursuit of more fun, more freedom, and more fulfillment in negative terms.

I am not ready to start living in a cardboard box to boost my savings rate and/or comfort level in retirement- but that's just me. In Your Money or your life Dominguez has a cartoon of a life satisfaction curve that rises with income as survival and comfort are attained and then falls. Not even an extremist like dominguez suggested that no degree of savings could be too extreme.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us