The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-dishwasher-died-ten-years-ago-or-more-i-20285336.aspx

Subject:  Re: Wish list Date:  2/7/2004  2:38 PM
Author:  FoolNBlue Number:  340 of 1490

My dishwasher died ten years ago or more. I prefer washing dishes by hand, and it gives me the chance to use rainwater from my rainbarrels rather than citiwater.

So my present aim is to let the old dishwasher retire in place until I eventually sell the old homestead. I would replace the dishwasher at that time, and that would probably justify buying a new dishwasher as a replacement.
-Seattle Pioneer

You've mentioned washing dishes with cistern water before. It is the only thing you've mentioned on the boards in all the years I've "known" you that I thought "eww." At least you don't use gray water.

Since I live alone I often wash by hand even with a working dishwasher (obviously it isn't that important to me -I've wasted more than the cost of replacing it on toys since it broke). However, I think a full load probably uses less water than doing a full load by hand. Also, I prefer to clean things "contaminated" with raw meat in the dishwasher where they will get cooked!

My dad will be visiting next week so I may go ahead and replace it when I have a second set of hands available. I'd have to replace it before I sell the house anyway so I may as well get some use out of it myself in the meantime.

FoolNBlue
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us