The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltlti-need-to-be-thinking-about-replacing-my-20285658.aspx

Subject:  Re: Replacing Kitchen Countertops Date:  2/7/2004  4:09 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  45896 of 129282

<<I need to be thinking about replacing my countertops. I have a small modest kitchen with 25 linear feet of counter space. So many choices are out there. I've had Formica laminate for 28 years and it still looks good but does have the shine worn off in some places. I could go back to Formica but I like the looks (not the cost, 3 times the cost) of solid surface tops. They have so many different brands out that it's caused mind overload. Any suggestions or Experiences ?

Thanks --
>>

28 years is a good long time. Taking care of your counters for that period of time has probably saved you a lot of money compared with replacing them once, or perhaps twice, as a lot of people would have done in such circumstances.

And you do of course, get to do what you want with your life and your counters.

Still, I have to play devil's advocate here. From your description, your counters still seem to be serving you safely and effectively. Mightn't it be worthwhile to continue using them and to save and invest what you would spend towards retirement or other purposes that might be more important?

<<I've had Formica laminate for 28 years and it still looks good but does have the shine worn off in some places.>> <<Any suggestions or Experiences ?
>>

Without meaning to be too impudent, my suggestions would lean towards a can of wax.....!

Seattle Pioneer
Usually frugal

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us