The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/if-you-want-to-spend-a-very-small-amount-of-money-20290334.aspx

Subject:  Re: Replacing Kitchen Countertops Date:  2/8/2004  6:06 PM
Author:  bankingintern Number:  45938 of 129241

IF you want to spend a very small amount of money concrete is very cheap if you do it yourself a whole kitchen could be redone for a few hundred dollars. The taunton press has a new book on how to do this about $30 bucks. Any color you can think of can be done, plus you can add rocks, shells, stone chips, anything you can think of to make the countertop look exactly the way you want.
You can get stone for $10-20 a sq ft. if you look through ebay or buy overstocks from a local stone yard or an online DIY stone supplier. If you spend the time looking for where to buy it you can get the stuff cheap. I like soapstone because you can work it with woodworking tools and you don't need to stain it and it will last forever. M. texera out of jersey can sell you slabs for $20 a sq ft plus delivery. (I'm going to be using this in a kitchen remodel soon)
Formica is nice, and you CAN put just the colored sheet material and contact cement it down on top of what you have and get a new surface for very cheap. The choices are endless. Precut sheet materials are pretty cheap to buy.
Tile is also very attractive and something you can do yourself. The choices are endless.

Countertops start to cost some REAL money once you have other people doing the work. Everything I've mentioned can be done yourself for a LOT less than hiring the work out. COuntertops are one place DIY can really pay.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us