The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/huh-so-if-you-buy-a-ge-appliance-from-sears-it-20298329.aspx

Subject:  Re: Wish list Date:  2/10/2004  12:17 AM
Author:  tmeri Number:  351 of 1483

Huh, so if you buy a GE appliance from Sears it is more likely to break than from Toms Appliance Barn?

Yes. You have to dig into what's going on here. Too much to tell you in writing, but suffice it to say that Sears has GE, Whirlpool, etc. manufacture things "differently" (meaning different parts/part numbers) so that you cannot get replacement parts without going through Sears. Then Sears has the manufacturer change the design periodically, so that you can't get older parts because they are no longer being made. When that part breaks, bingo, you're going to have to buy a new appliance.

Of course, Sears will have the cheapest....

Remember that song, "There's a hole, in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza..." Same thing.

Most of the appliances are Kenmore

Therein lies the problem. GE makes it, puts Kenmore brand on it. Don't buy it. I don't care what CU says, I've been burned. Everyone I know has figured this out, I just wish I would have stuck with my guns the first time I swore off of Sears.

Come back and let us know when you do, though. ;-)

- tmeri
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us