The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/does-this-allocation-weigh-to-heavily-in-the-mid-20302969.aspx

Subject:  Re: 401k Diversity Date:  2/10/2004  5:46 PM
Author:  2old4bs Number:  39122 of 76237

Does this allocation weigh to heavily in the Mid Cap range? Would another allocation make more sense? My other choices include Putnam international index, PIMCO Total return, Putnam balanced fund, and a capital preservation fund.

I also would suggest you read "Four Pillars" by Bernstein. In the interim however, I think you need some international exposure in your portfolio. I would reduce both the small and mid-cap to 15% each, and put the difference (20%) in the Putnam international index. Since you're still young, and interest rates will probably be rising, and I don't know what the maturity terms are on the Putnam balanced fund, I wouldn't do that just yet. After you've read the book, digested and thought about it, you can rebalance your portfolio again. (But I think Bernstein would agree that some international exposure is a good thing.)

Other than that one change, I think it looks great!

2old

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us