The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-should-think-that-etching-the-concrete-would-20313919.aspx

Subject:  Re: stained concrete Date:  2/12/2004  12:00 PM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  46127 of 128178

I should think that etching the concrete would increase its porosity. That could make it more succeptible to winter damage especially by salt--if you live in snow country.

Sealing the concrete might help, but that will tend to make it slippery when wet. Choose carefully. There are some reactive sealers out there that soak into the concrete and set, but most are deep purple and not very attractive. (These are reactive acrylics and not latex.) They are usually used on highway bridges and parking garages, etc.

There is ancient technology where concrete bridge decks were treated with linseed oil. I don't know the details, but supposedly the linseed oil soaks in and then sets up. (Linseed oil is a drying oil. That is to say it will harden by air oxidation especially in the presence of driers containing metals like cobalt.) Sealers are supposed to extend the life of concrete by repelling water and salt. California DOT is a major user of the technology.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us