The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/at-the-beginning-of-a-new-year-i-like-to-develop-20314659.aspx

Subject:  Re: Wish list Date:  2/12/2004  1:26 PM
Author:  zsimpson Number:  355 of 1491

At the beginning of a new year, I like to develop a target spending amount for that years wants and needs. To address the wants, I make out a "wish list" and then I go through and priortize it. In past years, I could easily pay for everything on the wish list and still save for FIRE. However, post-FIRE it is different--to do everything on this list would mean that I would need to go back to work. So for each item on my list, I have come up with a viable alternative that could fit into my current SWR. It helps me see that I truly have choices: RWOL or go back to work for a while.

That is the main reason we have the online business. We like our toys. We could retire on Hubby's retirement amount only and if we scrimped on enough things, we could get by, but we like our toys. My husband is an over-grown 12yo (and I've had people tell me I give him too much credit for that), and I'm not very far behind. Kids of all ages LOVE coming to our house, including teens. It's like one big video arcade, movie theatre, and playground. Hubby even has steering wheels and pedals for the networked computers so they can play NASCAR and race against eash other.
So we have the business. It earns us some income, and allows us to write off a lot of the toys we are going to buy anyway. Because we like our toys so much, we can also take the business anywhere with us as we are traveling.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us