The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-understanding-is-that-quothotquot-water-in-20314846.aspx

Subject:  Re: Wish list Date:  2/12/2004  1:43 PM
Author:  zsimpson Number:  359 of 1491

My understanding is that "hot" water in dishwashers (max 180 degrees) isn't going to reliably kill food bacteria. When canning non acid foods, food must be steamed under pressure to 250 degrees or so for several minutes to kill off bacteria. The detergent and hot water probably do a pretty good job of washing bacteria away though.

I do a lot of canning and the "several minutes" is usually a minimum of 15 minutes. Most dishwashers do not run any hot water that long, but the soaps usually contain anti-bacterials of some type, so it sort of evens out.

I keep a separate plastic cutting board for poultry. Everything else gets cut up on a decent wood cutting board, which gets washed more or less everytime I wash dishes. I consider myself to be reasonably careful about cross contamination of food and about bacterial risks in preparing food. I haven't studied up in detail to identify weaknesses though.

I use the disposable cutting sheets for meats. I absolutely love them, the clean-up is so easy and you never have to worry about cross-contamination of any type. My wood board gets used mainly for bread and occasionally for a small veggie. I have a large plastic board that I use for my usual amount of veggies (20lbs of onions at one time, etc.).
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us