The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-was-once-told-a-story-about-a-basement-fire-20318025.aspx

Subject:  Re: stained concrete Date:  2/12/2004  9:01 PM
Author:  rsprang Number:  46176 of 129272

I was once told a story about a basement fire that started from leaving a rag soaked with linseed oil lying around. Apparently, this material auto ignites under certain conditions.

Many oils will spontaneously combust under the right conditions - watco, danish oil, tung oil, boiled linseed oil, even common engine oil. If you have the oil on a rag, there is a danger of spontaneous combustion. The recommendation is generally to put the rags in a sealed metal container outside, away from anything combustable.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us