The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-realize-it-is-all-a-matter-of-perspective-i-20333220.aspx

Subject:  Re: Wish list Date:  2/16/2004  11:57 AM
Author:  Frydaze1 Number:  374 of 1489

I realize it is all a matter of perspective. I just don't think cable/satellite TV is going fall in the category of "essential" for many people.

- tmeri

It sure doesn't in MY house! We aren't retired yet, and I won't admit to some of the things we blow money on. But cable/satellite/etc isn't on our list (though we do subscribe to Netflix - half the cost of cable and better stuff).

And as far as "eeking by", as always that's relative. Washing one's own dishes (of one isn't serving 4 people 3 meals a day) isn't a big deal. And if that saves you $xxx dollars that you could instead spend on a great trip, then it's brilliant.

All of life involves trade offs. And there are many things that one person finds essential but another person wouldn't want even for free (cable is something I refuse to have in my house at any price).

On the one hand, some people wouldn't live without those little comforts just for the ability to retire earlier.

On the other hand, some people wouldn't work an extra 5 or 10 years just to have those little things.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us