The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/decath-my-sahw-home-schooled-our-1st-2-for-almost-20340067.aspx

Subject:  Re: I am such a Wannabee! Date:  2/17/2004  3:22 PM
Author:  decath Number:  1946 of 5069

Decath

My SAHW home-schooled our 1st 2 for almost 10 years before calling it quits before putting them into public school (big mistake in hindsight).

seattlepioneer:
May I ask you to describe your experiences with home schooling in more detail and why turning to public schools eventually was a mistake?

Our home-schooling years were probably the most happy in our lives. I had a low-key job that was low paying for a computer programmer but it enabled me to be home by 4:30 everyday. My wife did an adequate job of teaching the academic subjects but did an absolute knock-out job of teaching and emulating our Christian values to them. They had exceptional character and got along with kids and adults. Every adult that spent any time with them were marveled at their polite and congenial behavior & love of life.

I wanted them in school at 7th so they could play HS sports. Since we adopted our 3rd at the time, the private school option was out do to the cost. So small town public school it was.

I won't go into a lot of detail of what happened in the 2 public schools they attended but lets just say the went from children of exceptional character to being a little above average.

I'm not trying to be elitist but you can't expect to put to very good children with other kids, 8-10 hours a day, and then expect them not to get tainted. The public school system has so many undisciplined and unruly kids that it is impossible for the administrators and teachers to do an effective job. Especially when they are expected to be this great “social change agent” that has been put upon them by politicians. Too many problems, not enough accountability, not enough discipline and too many parents that don't care because they are out working to pay for their 3000 sqf McMansions and SUV's. The many problems in public school is why the rich send theirs to private schools.

If I could do it again, I would get a 2nd job so that we could afford private school in HS. My wife really wants our 3rd to go to a private Christian school. I've given her that option as long as she goes to work to pay for it. Otherwise, she can home-school her. Her choice but it won't be public school.

decath

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us