The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/if-theres-going-to-be-an-unfinished-basement-20384285.aspx

Subject:  Re: Open question: What to put into a new house? Date:  2/25/2004  1:48 PM
Author:  Trini209 Number:  46676 of 128619

If there's going to be an unfinished basement, make the ceiling tall enough so that if you finish the space someday, the ceiling won't be too low.

Make the closets bigger than you think you need.

I'd want a walk in pantry.

Instead of a huge master bath, consider two separate, smaller bathrooms. One of my favorite things about our present home is that DH and I each have our own bathroom. What a luxury!

An outdoor shower. Wonderful.

If possible, plan ahead for privacy. For instance, situate the garage so you don't look right into your neighbors' windows (or allow them to look right into yours.) Choosing the right trees and shrubs, in the right locations, might mean you don't have to hear your neighbors in their yard when you're trying to sleep. I'd spend extra for any privacy I could acheive.

One of those Toto toilets. A bigger bathtub - one I could lie down in. A bigger medicine chest. Better faucets.

Trini
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us