The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thereve-been-a-lot-of-good-and-interesting-ideas-20387165.aspx

Subject:  Re: Open question: What to put into a new house? Date:  2/25/2004  8:43 PM
Author:  RocketsMomma Number:  46705 of 129240

There've been a lot of good and interesting ideas.

Here's a few of the things we added when we did design and build our last house.

The main reason behind some of these; DH is 6'5" tall, I am nearly 5'11", if you're short, you can ignore this.

Master bath shower, 2 shower heads, one his height, one for my height, separate controls, but operable at the same time. ;-)

16" high toilets. Standard is 14ish. Handicapped is 18", a nice compromise.

Kitchen counters at 38 inches high, at last no more back pain at the sink. (And neither did it harm resale, the shorter buyers never even noticed). We also put 36' high base cabinets in the master bath as opposed to the standard 30". One of those went in a second bath for short people. ;-)

Other things:

R-15 insulation in the 4" frame walls. not that much more expensive

Insulation in any interior plumbing walls to deaden flushing sounds, etc in the next room.

If you love music and have a great sound system or wish to, or have surround sound; good speaker wire in the walls. We put in our own after the builders went home and the electricians were done.

Enough phone jacks. The builders in the area put in 3 total. We put one in every bedroom, living room, family room and garage. My neighbors wished they had. They got tired running to the next room to get the portable.

We should have put one in the basement.

Someone mentioned Christmas lights. It was a 2 story house, I was not going to get a ladder out and decorate the eaves. I had an outlet under every front window for candles. The outlets, of course, came in handy for other things the rest of the year.

We wired for cable, wireless was not an option back then, I would still wire now, however.

Do you want a security system? It's cheaper and neater to have it done before drywall goes up.

5 burner drop in stove, I never had enough burners.

A wood burning fireplace downstairs. A gas burning one upstairs in the master BR. No mess. It also vented out the back of the house, no verticle chimney.

Hardwood floor in the dining room. I hate food falling onto carpet.

We had 2 zone heat. A/C and a built in humidifier.

Staircase wider than standard, made furniture moving easier.

We put in a 3 car garage. Had only 2 cars but the third bay came in handy for things like the riding mower and ATV.

RM - dang, I miss that house! ;-)

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us