The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-would-also-have-the-mechanical-room-floor-be-an-20388692.aspx

Subject:  Re: Open question: What to put into a new house? Date:  2/26/2004  8:24 AM
Author:  rsprang Number:  46724 of 129274

I would also have the mechanical room floor be an inch lower than the rest of the floor and have a floor drain so that when the water heater goes you don't get a flood. I am surprised this isn't part of the building code requirements.

Great idea. Also, in some areas code now requires the hot water heater to be elevated. SP posted some info a while back about hot water heaters designed to resist fume ignition. Another good idea is to strap the hot water heater to the wall, so it doesn't fall over and cause a gas leak and explosion in an earthquake. While earthquakes are not common in most of the US, pretty much everywhere in the US gets them. (Last two I experienced were in Ohio and Pennsylvania - really more tremors than California style earthquakes, though).

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us