The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/4000-feet-holy-schmokes-i-have-13-drops-in-my-20392708.aspx

Subject:  Re: Open question: What to put into a new house? Date:  2/26/2004  3:59 PM
Author:  FlyingDiver Number:  46762 of 128784

4000 feet? Holy Schmokes...

I have 13 drops in my 3,900 square Foot home; Two drops to Home office, one each in 4 bedrooms, 2 spare baths, Master Bath, kitchen, living room, dining room, garage.

All are homeruns to my demarc in the basement; longest run is MasterBath to Demarc, at about 90 feet, and my total cable use was probably less than 1500 feet.

Ah, but I REALLY went overboard. That was 4000' of Cat-5, plus 2500' of RG-6, plus 750' of speaker wire, plus alarm pre-wire, etc. Almost 8000' total.

Each bedroom has TWO drops, on opposite sides of the room. Don't you hate it when the cable outlet isn't where you want if for the furniture layout? Standard drop is 2xCat-5 plus 2xRG-6. Family room (entertainment room) has three drops, one of which is actually a double (4xRG-6, 4xCat-5, speaker, etc). Most rooms also had a extended drop, which was 4xCat-5 + 2xRG-6 + speaker + microphone.

Maybe today, but how about tomorrow? And running out of capability of the Cat-6 is not the issue; it's running out of the capability of the Cat-5e.

Will this happen today, tomorrow, in 5 years?

I don't know, but when it does, I won't be replacing my cable...

What I'm concerned about is the possible incompatibility of Cat-6 cable with existing equipment designed for Cat-5. I really don't know the physical characteristics of Cat-6, so I don't know how likely that is. But the notes in the catalog for my provider say that there are incompatibilities. So I wonder.

joe

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us