The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/and-a-structural-floor-in-the-attic-so-you-can-20394180.aspx

Subject:  Re: Open question: What to put into a new house? Date:  2/26/2004  6:33 PM
Author:  RocketsMomma Number:  46783 of 128074

And a structural floor in the attic so you can use it for storage - or finish it to use it as a room. And windows in the gable ends, so you can use the finished attic space as a bedroom.

This reminded me. We had a large attic area over the garage that we had rough plumbed for a future bathroom and wired with outlets and over head lights and the wiring was also installed for it's own heat pump. Both gable ends had windows, there were 2 skylights on one side of the roof. Access was through a regular size door from the 2nd floor family room. (Same floor level, to do this the garage had a 14 foot high ceiling.)

One other thing my DH said I should mention. Our house could have been a traditional center hall colonial. However, we opted out of the formal LR opposite the dining room and instead put the third bedroom on the first floor. It was large enough to be a master BR and had a connecting door to the downstairs bath.

It would therefore be available should one of us no longer be able to climb stairs. (Saw how that feature would have helped my parents tremendously.) In fact it's one of the reasons the buyers liked about the house. The wife's parents were going to live with them so they each got a master suite.

RM
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us