The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ah-but-i-really-went-overboard-that-was-4000-20394922.aspx

Subject:  Re: Open question: What to put into a new house? Date:  2/26/2004  8:19 PM
Author:  emtwo Number:  46790 of 128074

Ah, but I REALLY went overboard. That was 4000' of Cat-5, plus 2500' of RG-6, plus 750' of speaker wire, plus alarm pre-wire, etc. Almost 8000' total.

Each bedroom has TWO drops, on opposite sides of the room. Don't you hate it when the cable outlet isn't where you want if for the furniture layout? Standard drop is 2xCat-5 plus 2xRG-6. Family room (entertainment room) has three drops, one of which is actually a double (4xRG-6, 4xCat-5, speaker, etc). Most rooms also had a extended drop, which was 4xCat-5 + 2xRG-6 + speaker + microphone.

Woo Hoo...Now that is a wired house...

The Builder included phone and cable hookups to all rooms; I added phone drops to a couple other points, plus the aforementioned Cat-6

We decided on drop location prior to building, after mocking up the furniture placement on the computer; in the event we need to rearrange, and a drop happens to be on the other side of the room, it can be added, either from the attic for the upper rooms, or from the basement for the ground floor.

What I'm concerned about is the possible incompatibility of Cat-6 cable with existing equipment designed for Cat-5. I really don't know the physical characteristics of Cat-6, so I don't know how likely that is. But the notes in the catalog for my provider say that there are incompatibilities. So I wonder.

If this was an unratified standard, I'd be worried too; but since ratification in 2002, CAT-6 it assures backwards compatability with "MOST" modern equipment.

All IMHO, of course.

v/r

Michael

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us