The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/michael-just-a-note-if-we-are-talking-about-the-20395294.aspx

Subject:  Re: Open question: What to put into a new house? Date:  2/26/2004  9:33 PM
Author:  Radish Number:  46795 of 128445

Michael,

Just a note; if we are talking about the same tubing, the blue corrugated stuff, my builder installed one from my attic, to my basement.

My BIL, an electrician, took one look and ripped it out; and replaced it with a 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe. He stated, and I understood his point, that the corrugation made it sometimes difficult to run multiple wires through.

That was my first thought when I saw the corrugations (or ribs) in smurf tube, that it'd make it hard to pull wires through. However, Carlon (who makes the blue stuff) says it makes it easier.

"The corrugated design facilitates easy wire pulling and pushing and its flexibility eliminates the need for bending equipment."

They claim the difficulty of pulling wire is proportional to the surface area of conduit that the wire comes in contact with. The corrugated design reduces the surface area by about 50%.

Haven't tried it, myself.

Phil
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us