The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/michael-hmmmmakes-sense-about-the-surface-20396395.aspx

Subject:  Re: Open question: What to put into a new house? Date:  2/27/2004  1:49 AM
Author:  Radish Number:  46806 of 129274

Michael,

Hmmm...makes sense about the surface area, but what about the wire catching on the corrugations?

That's what I wondered too. The next time I was at Home Depot, I stuck my finger inside a piece of smurf tubing and it actually feels pretty smooth. They're probably assuming you're using a fish tape, and those are usually bent so as not to catch on things going in, and pulling back you can tape it smoothly.

I guess if it was impossible to pull wires through smurf tube, no one would buy it, and they'd stop making it. But that doesn't say anything about whether it's easier or harder than plain conduit.

One thing I've discovered is the building code here in southern California is a bit weird on conduit. Normally, low-voltage wiring isn't covered by the code. But they claim that sometime in the future, someone could pull a high-voltage wire through smurf tube or conduit, and so both are covered by the code. (Smurf tube is often placed inside poured concrete where high-voltage wires will later be pulled.) So if you run CAT5 or RG/6 naked it doesn't have to be inspected, but if you run smurf tube or regular conduit, it does.

Phil
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us