The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: 401K rollover questions Date:  2/29/2004  4:28 PM
Author:  dougdoogle Number:  39532 of 87985

You actually have two questions. First, what company to roll the 401k into and how to do it. Second, what to do with the money once it's there.

T. Rowe Price has been mentioned and is well regarded. Fidelity is respectable if you're interested in mostly mutual funds. Scottrade seems to be the favorite here if you want to buy individual stocks. And there are others. Once you decide where you want to go, call that company and they will hold your hand through the transfer. If you can sign your name, it's quite simple.

Once the money is transferred, you can take your time deciding what to do with it. Putting your money in a market index fund allows you to participate in the ups and downs of the market while you work through the details of how you want to individualize your account.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us