The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/rwol-and-ethics-20414810.aspx

Subject:  RWOL and ethics Date:  3/1/2004  5:33 PM
Author:  workwayless Number:  403 of 1490

In a recent post, SP wondered

What are the ethics of taking advantage of "free" days and making low ball contributions in the above kind of situation?

In my opinion, retirement is a luxury and so is saving for retirement.

Is taking advantage of such offers entirely honest?

I thought I would start a seperate thread to discuss this subject.

I hope that everyone will continue to post RWOL ideas like the free day at the museum. What may seem taking advantage to you may not be for other posters.

For the majority, retirement is no luxury. They retire because the day arrives when they will simply no longer able to work any longer, don't have much in the way of savings. Subsisting on SS payments, they have to stretch every dime. If they take advantage of "free" days and low ball contributions, is it ethical?

OK let's take another situation. Let's say that one has saved up enough money to fund an early retirement and thus they had reached financial independence. However if they continue to work then the resulting income taxes could be used to pay down the national debt and FICA contributions could pay for the previous generations SS pension payments. Is it ethical for them to quit?

I think there are situations where ethics are clearly in question--like taking a muffin home from an all-you-can-eat buffet. However in the case of the free day at the museum, one would have to examine ones own situation.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us