The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/sp-what-are-the-ethics-of-taking-advantage-of-20415765.aspx

Subject:  Re: Admission Is Free Date:  3/1/2004  7:52 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  406 of 1498

SP: What are the ethics of taking advantage of "free" days and making low ball contributions in the above kind of situation?

In my opinion, retirement is a luxury and so is saving for retirement.

Is taking advantage of such offers entirely honest?

DO you take advantage of senior citizen discounts if you qualify? if you qualify, do you say, "No, I don't want the discount, I'll pay full price?"

When you go to the store, and they have something on sale, do you say "OH, I"ll pay regular price for that"?

Many times 'free' or reduced admission is used during the week to boost attendance from those who would not otherwise come to a museum (and likely spend some money in the cafeteria for a snack or lunch, and maybe the gift store?)..... and maybe bring other friends/relatives who work during the week on weekends, or tell them to come and see exhibit X???

ANd sometimes museums spend a lot of money to get a special collection, and during slow times, they want the maximum number of people to see it so they can 'justify' the expense of bringing it there by saying XXXXXXX people came and saw it?

When someone offers me 5 or 10% off and I qualify for it on age, I take it. I have no problem asking for AARP or AAA discount at motels and atractions, and taking any discount or promotion.

Feel free to 'donate' any amount you feel you want.

I have a friend in Chicago.....she visits the museum ocassionally on Tuesday at lunch time.....and other museums that have same arrangment..can only spend an hour, but she wouldn't go otherwise and pay for just an hour.....

Mostly local folks take advantage of the 'free' tuesday as others often can't plan trips to take advantage of it....local folks are the ones who vote to support things.....keep em happy!...

t

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us