The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/for-example-if-i-had-any-amount-of-money-in-an-20434965.aspx

Subject:  Re: newbie IRA question Date:  3/4/2004  5:32 PM
Author:  going2win Number:  39682 of 76392

For example, if I had any amount of money in an online IRA account, I could conceivably do short term day trading to increase my IRA account balance. But am I subject to the short term gains taxes the same as a regular traded account where I can withdraw the amount without penalty.

I have an IRA with TDWaterhouse, and I use it to trade stocks. HOWEVER, there is a rule that states that IRA accounts may not be used for day-trading, which means that if you open a position in the morning and close it before the end of the day, your account will be flagged as a day-trading account. Believe me, I know since I tripped this rule early on in my trading experiments. You can't open short position, but you may buy puts and calls. So, IRA accounts are better for swing-trading where a position may stay open for days or weeks.

On the tax side, you do not pay taxes on short-term or long-term gains in your IRA. OTOH, you don't get a tax deduction for your losses. You do get taxed at ordinary income rates when funds are withdrawn (assuming a rollover IRA from a 401K)

Good Luck,

g2w
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us