The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-dunno-the-answer-to-your-question-although-ive-20441878.aspx

Subject:  Re: How should DH & DW invest their assets? Date:  3/5/2004  5:03 PM
Author:  pekinrobin Number:  39705 of 75839

I dunno the answer to your question although I've often pondered it. We have different fund families for our retirement. Diversification increases your risk of having an average result, I'm afraid. My T. Rowe Price funds have done much better than his extremely volatile (won't name the guilty family here) fund. However, his fund was chosen to be a more aggressive growth fund, so the volatility is to be expected, I suppose. Knowing what I know now, I would have chosen for both of us to go with T. Rowe Price, they haven't been implicated in the fund scandal to my knowledge, and they offer lots of good choices. His company started offering a retirement program with matching in a third index fund, so it just moves with the S&P 500.

For non tax sheltered investing, I don't do funds, I do individual stocks. I do have to pay taxes on the dividends in the year I receive them but I only pay taxes on stocks sold at a profit. I'm not saying that buying individual stocks is a good thing to do, I'm starting to think it's a gambling disease, as we cannot be sure of the accuracy of the information we are provided. Enron was a Fortune 10 company. At this time, I've been slowly profit-taking while I decide where to go next with my money. Maybe retire to a cabana in Belize.

I see I have not been helpful in the slightest. Sigh. Unless it's helpful to know you aren't the only one who questions the value of diversification.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us