The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/obviously-you-have-better-windows-than-we-do-or-20460969.aspx

Subject:  Re: Open question: What to put into a new house? Date:  3/9/2004  4:51 PM
Author:  rsprang Number:  47471 of 128900

Obviously, you have better windows than we do or your outside temps don't dip much below freezing.

Coldest temp this winter has been around 0 F. My windows are lousy ;-) Seriously, it's a 1940's era colonial with original windows. Hope to get the last of them refurbished this summer.

Maybe that's part of the issue, though - I presumably have a lot more air infiltration than a newer home. That might be why my humidity levels are lower, and harder to raise - more outside air coming in. I have owned new homes in the past, though, and didn't have any humidity related issues with them either, after the first year of "drying out" that is common to new construction. However, none of those houses had humidifiers (or dehumidifiers) either.

You can google “recommended humidity levels” and I doubt you will find any sites recommending 60% RH.

The 40% to 60% relative humidity is the CISSP recommended range for computer equipment - that's one of the test questions/answers. That suggested to me that it would be a reasonable range for home use, too, but I did not research it beyond that point.

It's still interesting, though, that my basement isn't more humid than the rest of the house, and is not 'wet' even at 60% RH.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us