The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/to-set-the-stage-i-am-a-huge-believer-in-lbym-my-20506695.aspx

Subject:  Re: Baby Steps Date:  3/18/2004  3:24 PM
Author:  John3haha Number:  2088 of 5076

To set the stage, I am a huge believer in LBYM. My wife and I try to joke about my Budget Monster tendencies. We have two old cars and a conservative house and budgie clothes, bring lunch to work almost every day...

Still, we spent a fair bit on our wedding almost 15 years ago and spent our own money and it may have been the best money we ever spent. Our wedding was the best party I have ever attended. This was probably because it was OUR party. Ours was the first marraige for two large families in a town neither of us grew up in. No one in the family lived here, but it seems like everyone came. It was the last time I saw one grandfather alive.

My brilliant wife worked her fanny off to keep things reasonably cheap, but it still cost a fair bit. We sprang for food and drink, and made sure there would be time to visit with all the folks to came from far away to visit our wedding. I met one sister's future husband for the first time at our reception. There is a picture somewhere of me in shorts and a t-shirt with my wife still in full regalia (too sweaty from dancing, don't you know).

I could go on and on. You get the point already or it does not matter.

Cheers,

JohnH
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us