The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-wouldnt-consider-property-tax-a-debt-sure-its-20535160.aspx

Subject:  Re: Late Start but still want to retire early! Date:  3/24/2004  1:56 PM
Author:  pekinrobin Number:  158998 of 757554

I wouldn't consider property tax a debt. Sure its an obligation, but so is buying food. Are you not out of debt until you have all the food you will eat for the rest of your life? Or all the heating oil? Property taxes are generally paying the local government for services they are providing to you.

Well, I have an irregular income so I need to keep recurring expenses down as much as possible. It may be a mind-game but there it is. Another poster said they were paying $6,000 a year in property tax -- my entire house note with insurance was less than $6,000 a year and I bought in the early 1990s not the 1950s. Heating oil is not an issue, I'm not even sure what you would use it for or how it would get in your house. This is the (sub)tropics! You know, that place where birds fly to in the winter? This is one of them. :-)

We have sales tax and inventory tax to pay local gov't for services. And people with McMansions do pay property tax. As do landlords. Only the home you live in is exempt. It seems fair to me. Do you want to encourage low income people to develop stability and buy homes, or do you not? I think a homestead exemption is a very good way to promote stability. Where the people do not own their homes or have a hope of owning their homes, it can get pretty ugly.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us