The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/mas15-wrote-im-not-from-the-west-coast-but-it-20550710.aspx

Subject:  Re: Homes & School Districts Date:  3/27/2004  1:06 AM
Author:  CCSand Number:  68149 of 127262

mas15 wrote:

I'm not from the west coast but it sounds like you're already in an ideal neighborhood. What are your reasons for moving other than size?

We currently have a 3 bedroom home with 1 child, a dog and a cat. And, of course, the two of us. One of those bedrooms is being used as an office. So if we want to adopt another child, we have to move. So size is really the issue. We have no family room in this house and no breakfast area. The driveway is a killer - literally - for a little boy on a bicycle. And we have a tiny backyard.

Have you considered an extreme home makeover?

We've done that over the last 5 years, but we can't add any rooms because there's no where to build. Our home is built on quite a slope and it's mostly unbuildable.

If home improvement is something to entertain, post another question; it's an entirely different discussion. There are short term headaches, but if managed correctly, a less expensive route for the same result. With the Equity in your current home combined the current interest rates you could probably turn your home into a mini estate.

If we had more flat land, that's exactly what I'd look into... :) That was the first thing I thought of, but having already been through the permit process just to rebuild our decks, we discovered that our home wouldn't be allowed to be built today without a variance - which in itself is an expensive process with no guarantee of success. The slope is too steep.

CCSand
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us