The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/0xf001-quotfirst-a-little-background-my-wife-20563670.aspx

Subject:  Re: AMEX Financial Advisor Experience and Questi Date:  3/30/2004  11:22 AM
Author:  JAFO31 Number:  40066 of 80001

0xf001: "First a little background, my wife and I are both 26, no ¡§bad debt¡¨, very decent salaries, have a house (paying a mortgage), no kids (but plans), and trying to figure out how to retire at 45 ƒº

. . .

So we gave him all our financial information and he got back to us, with a nicely bound professional looking ¡§financial plan¡¨ that showed which AMEX funds are right for me. He then started telling us that our ¡§Age and financial status gives us a unique opportunity to invest in a very special tax-advantaged vehicle, a Variable Universal Life Insurance plan.¡¨ We were so entranced by the sales pitch I almost handed over a check and signed the paperwork. But after a few questions and a ¡§what? you don't trust me?¡¨ statement we decided to sleep on it.

I have since done some digging around and it seems our ¡§unique opportunity¡¨ isn't so uniq