The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / RVing Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-love-being-able-to-just-get-up-i-dont-drive-20648750.aspx

Subject:  Re: Airstream or Winnebago Date:  4/17/2004  4:41 AM
Author:  Goofyhoofy Number:  1167 of 2400

I love being able to just get up (I don't drive) and get a snack, reading material, go to the bathroom, etc. while we're moving. Even if we pull off the highway, we don't have to get out of the vehicle if the weather is bad, but we can still stretch our legs in the motorhome

When Mrs. Goofy and I started looking for our first, we began with "motorhome." It was what we wanted, but the costs were high. Then we found a couple of 5ers that we liked, the Montana was one of them. But to pull it we needed a big pickup, which brought the cost near the motorhome.

So we started looking at trailers which we could pull behind a large SUV. Saw a couple, but nothing that really hit with us. Then we saw a used motorhome for sale right near our house, stopped in, and bought it.

As utahtea says, we much prefer the MH. Mrs. Goofy can get up and make a sandwich while we're on the road if we're behind schedule, or get me a glass of soda with ice, or take a pee, all without interrupting our driving time. I have my choices of snacks, because they're all right there.

We found a Geo Tracker which we tow, that was about $5,000, and we even have a Yamaha motorbike we carry on a rack in the front if we're going to be out for any length of time!

It's more expensive to register a MH than a trailer, at least here in Tennessee, but setting up at a campground takes less than 1/2 the time (we also have auto-levelers), and barely requires leaving the rig (just plug in electric) if it's raining. Water and sewer optional, at least some of the time. We also have a satellite dish and carry the receiver back and forth to the house when we're not in the rig.

Now that we have a motorhome, we would never be able to go back to a 5th wheel or trailer, but that's just us. Lots of people like them, too.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us