The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / RVing Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hello-and-welcome-tim-rving-can-be-anything-you-20652525.aspx

Subject:  Re: Airstream or Winnebago Date:  4/18/2004  2:58 PM
Author:  NewPenny Number:  1168 of 2369

Hello and welcome, Tim!

RVing can be anything you want it to be. Choosing the right rig depends on how you'll be using it and what you can afford.

I live full time in a large Class A. I chose it because as a woman traveling alone, I feel more comfortable stopping at a rest stop and taking care of all my needs without making it obvious that I'm alone. If I had a towable house I'd have to get out of the truck to get into the house. I also saw that I wouldn't like it if I needed to get into the house in bad weather. I tow a little Neon so I can zip out to grocery shopping or do some sightseeing in the area. It saves more gas than a truck big enough to tow a similarly sized house.

On the other hand, I've heard plenty of good reasons to get some type of trailer. One fellow told me that taking just the tow vehicle in for maintenance was a bonus. Motorhomes mean that maintenance people will be trapsing in and out of the house just to move the RV from the waiting area to the service bays. Diesel pushers have the engine under the bed in the rear, meaning that maintenance workers might need access the the entire house for "drive section" repairs. Another advantage for trailers is that you can upgrade the tow vehicle and house at different times. If you wanted a bigger house and needed also a larger tow vehicle, you simply buy the truck first. Later, when the truck is paid for, you upgrade the house.

Renting several types of choices will help you decide what you like best. Also, read up on destinations you would like to visit. Some National Parks have length limits as do small RV parks or place off the beaten path. Do you like to be surrounded by other RVs in a Resort-style park, or do you like to be so isolated you can hear the crickets and lay on your roof watching the stars?

Keep asking questions -- everyone sees RVing from a different perspective.

Penny
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us