The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Low Carb Way of Life

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/after-27-years-i-can-say-it-works-20666628.aspx

Subject:  After 27 years, I can say it works Date:  4/21/2004  2:09 PM
Author:  FritzSeifart Number:  17581 of 30633

Dear Fellow Fools,

27 years ago, nearly to the day, I started on a low-carb, lowered fat diet. I needed to do something, because at 6' 1" my weight was 357 pounds, blood pressure 200/105. I can't remember the values of the other indicies of health; no matter, I knew if I didn't do something I would shortly be dead.

Presently, I weigh 198 pounds. My blood pressure is 110 / 65 to 75, and values of other indicies of health are in the normal range.

I do not work out, although there certainly isn't anything wrong with exercise. I just think that the additional time one adds to one's life by exercising is the same amount as the time spent engaged in exercise. I guess I exercise regularly, just wallk about a mile or so daily.

My diet is based upon these rules:

Grill, broil, and steam are the best methods of cooking.
Use olive oil, peanut oil, or some other unprocessed oil for cooking.
Eat lots of good green vegetables.
Eat lean meats, fish and poultry.
Eat fruits in moderation.
Stay away from processed foods, especially margarine and any other of the substitutes for butter.
Drink water, coffee and tea. Artificially sweetened carbonated beverages can't be good for you either. Aren't some of the ingredients suspected carcinogens?
Limit all forms of sugar in your diet.
Eat a little bit of CHOCOLATE every day. CHOCOLATE is a food group. You NEED some every day. Get the kind with the lowest sugar and processed oil content you can find. Enjoy in moderation.

The only cure for the pain of birth and the sorrow of death is the enjoyment of everything in between. I plan to enjoy as much as I can.

Fool On!

Fritz Seifart-Cooper
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us