The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-a-bit-overwhelmed-by-all-the-alternatives-20686038.aspx

Subject:  Re: At sea over rollover, don't want to capsize! Date:  4/26/2004  1:50 AM
Author:  OldOne Number:  40688 of 80206

I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the alternatives, variables, and my situations (40+, retirement assets <$100k). Any help or pointers on this rollover problem, or how to self-educate on managing my retirement better, etc. would be greatly appreciated! <P>

I was in a very similar situation about 18 years ago. 40, much less than $100k in retirement funds (or any savings at all) and little knowledge.

I did own a house and had a new job with relatively good pay, which I got after being laid off from a previous one. Home equity was my only real asset, which was about $100k. I had no rollover at all, so the issue never came up.

Current situation is over $2M net worth and early retirement by choice about 2 years out. It can be done.

How I did it was almost accidental. About 2 years into the job, I got caught in a political situation which severely limited my potential for advancement, so I decided I needed to