The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-would-be-a-little-concerned-about-small-cap-20689471.aspx

Subject:  Re: Am I doing this right? Date:  4/26/2004  6:48 PM
Author:  Fuskie Number:  40700 of 75777

I would be a little concerned about small cap investing as some believe that these equities might suffer a little if and when interest rates will rise. They tend to take the most advantage of low rates the fed has used to push and prod the economy, but now that it is showing a turn-around, larger cap companies might lead the charge. I recommend spending some time in the portfolio management board other places where asset allocation is discussed.

Additionally, you may want to look into opening a SEP IRA. Self-employed individuals do have the right to an IRA beyond the simple Roth or TIRA, so explore all your options. It is good that you are looking at your retirement portfolio as the combination of DW's 403 and your RIRAs, but don't forget to look at the two Roth accounts as seperate entities as well; both do not need to be running RYPRX. You can extend your diversification as funds permit.

BTW, Many funds have retail and IRA minimum investments, so that is probably how you got in for $500.

Fuskie
Who has no business giving financial advice, but does not let that stop him...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us