The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/well-you-are-on-the-right-track-but-what-good-20690163.aspx

Subject:  Re: Am I doing this right? Date:  4/26/2004  9:59 PM
Author:  buzman Number:  40701 of 75528

Well you are on the right track, but what good will that do if train comes down the track.

This is what I see.

The bulk of the retirement funding comes from your wife's retirement plan. Probably 403b, which are notorious for having limited choices and high fees. If you see the letters TIAA-CREF you are OK. Of course if she cuts back her hours there goes retirement planning.

Since you are self-employed, I assume that your health insurance is coming from your wife's employer. Will they still cover her if she works part-time?

Even if you max out your Roth, you still need to increase your savings either thru a SEP or a solo K.

And we are trying to save for house down payment.

Also funding college.

You did not mention an emergency fund. Ditto life insurance.

Sounds like a job for a professional. There are several well meaning and some darn good people here, but there are some that are not.

You have several competing goals.

Sounds like a job for a professional. There are several well meaning and some darn good people here and some that think they are.

www.garrettplanningnetwork.com If there is one in your area, check it out

Disclaimer, I am a member of the Garrett Planning Network.

Buz Livingston

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us