The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-just-had-to-reply-because-we-intentionally-moved-20756713.aspx

Subject:  Re: What is the best state to retire in? Date:  5/11/2004  10:15 PM
Author:  gapfan Number:  71782 of 121255

I just had to reply because we intentionally moved to Washington (Olympic Peninsula) from Ohio for tax and weather reasons. I used the "Retirement Places Rated" book for a guide, then covered several Northern, Western, and a few Southern states. As an engineer I looked carefully at the pie charts on weather, liking what I saw for Port Angeles, WA. Nearly 11 months of spring or fall, with very little winter of summer. Seldom do we have days above 80 or below 30 degrees. Our specific area, in the shadow of Mt. Olympus, gets 12" to 15" of rain per year. The tax situation fits us well, including being a community property state. We have now been here 11 years and love it. The number of cloudy days was similar to Cleveland so that was not a drastic change for us, and my wife loves the cloudy weather for gardening. We do not need air conditioning, and heating costs are reasonable for us, as are property taxes. Tax rates were very important to me as I have significant capitol gains.

Good luck, Gapfan :-)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us