The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gapfan-getting-a-bit-ot-but-i-think-your-20757068.aspx

Subject:  Re: What is the best state to retire in? Date:  5/12/2004  12:10 AM
Author:  KenAtPcs Number:  71783 of 121219

Gapfan,

(Getting a bit OT, but ...)

I think your experience shows just how personal this decision really is. One person's heaven can be another person's ... well, I wouldn't say hell, as we actually loved it in SW WA, if not for all the cool, damp, cloudy weather.

Are you in Port Angeles, or Sequim? I thought Port Angeles was known as one of the cloudiest places in the US. Anyway, I can't really comment, as sadly, despite my 13 years as a WA resident, I never made it up your way. :-(

But I did compare Cleveland & Port Angeles at bestPlaces.net. Cleveland seems to be quite a rainy place! (Not to mention, cold & snowy.) I have to say, if my only choices were between Cleveland & Port Angeles -- well, it's a no brainer!

Lastly, for any self-employed folks interested in moving to WA to escape taxes, beware. It's very true that there is no state income tax, but WA does levy a "Business & Occupations" tax which can be quite high, depending on your business & gross.

Ken
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us