The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ken-actually-we-live-in-port-townsend-wa-we-20759491.aspx

Subject:  Re: What is the best state to retire in? Date:  5/12/2004  2:00 PM
Author:  gapfan Number:  71787 of 121219

Ken,

Actually, we live in Port Townsend, WA. We had looked at Sequim but could not find a 2400 sq. ft. house (4 bedroom) that we liked, so came to Port Townsend and had one built for below $150,000. Found PT because we were members of the Escapees club for motorhomers, and they have a park at Chimacum. (That is an interesting option for full-timer RVers.) Anyway, as the Pacific winds approach NW Washington, they rise over Mt. Olympus, causing a rain-forest at Hoh, leaving the air dry as it comes down the NE side of the mountain. We had perhaps 2" of snow this last year, and none the year before. Seattle, by contrast, is in a valley and just West of the Cascades, which gives it lots of rain.

We moved from the West side of Cleveland, just on the edge of Lake Erie. Hot and humid in the summer, snow and ice in the winter. And a 6% income tax and about 7% sales tax at the time, and I was looking at a tentative $150,000 capitol gain. WA sales tax was about the same as Ohio but no income tax. That meant a potential tax savings of about $9000 on that one transaction, which could pay for a move. And the savings continue. We happily pay the sales taxes on things we buy (food is not taxed). But coming from the Midwest, we missed the trees in AZ and NM and the tax situation in CA just offended me.

It is very personal where one retires, and my wife and I like smaller towns. Had Sequim had what we wanted in housing, we might have ended up there, and Port Angeles had promise, but we loved what we found here. For a while we loved that the deer came to our house but later found them too friendly and had to fence our yard and garden areas.

We looked for the area to move to in 1988 but family health issues delayed the move until 1992. We had subscribed to the local paper in 1988 and COC gave us a previous year's copy of the phone book, so that familiarized us with details before we actually made a final decision.

Gapfan :-)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us