The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: What is the best state to retire in? Date:  5/17/2004  10:13 PM
Author:  fleg9bo Number:  71872 of 127747

if you shop in Oregon and live in Washington, you are still required to pay sales tax as if you bought the items in Washington. I don't know anyone that does this

If you pay cash and don't keep any receipts lying around, I can't imagine how WA could ever find out. I suppose they could compel you to say where you bought something and if you lie and name a WA store they could check the serial number against the store's inventory records.

You can tell how popular this practice is by the unusually high proportion of WA license plates in the appliance and electronics store parking lots in the Portland area.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us