The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: IRA Contibution Date:  5/20/2004  5:14 PM
Author:  agg97 Number:  41083 of 88435

If I wanted the cash from my IRA for a short term (< 1 month) what does this entail??

Read IRS Publication 590, specifically in regards to "rollovers". It's a little trick you can play in a pinch. Basically, the IRS allows you up to 60 days to fund a new IRA once you've taken the money out of the old one.

So, here's the list of things you'd need to do:

1. Take the money out of the IRA. Be sure to check the box "rollover" instead of the box "distribution". This is when the clock starts.

2. Use the money as you see fit for up to 59 days.

3. On the 60th CALENDAR day or before, open a new IRA somewhere and put the money into there.

4. You now have to wait 12 months before you can have this fun again.

Good luck! (and be sure to read Pub 590!)

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us